Monday, December 08, 2008

We're Home!

After 4 weeks in the hospital we were finally able to bring Matthew home. He almost didn't make it home today because he had a few episodes where his oxygen level dropped and the nurse was a little worried. Plus there was a new Pediatrician on duty who had never seen him so he wasn't sure if we wanted to take him home or stay one more night. It was getting a little late in the day and they weren't sure if I wanted to take him home at night and be up all night. I was trying to keep my emotions in check and I said no I think I will take him home. I think he will be fine. I think it was just too close to shift change and they didn't want to deal with it. Plus, I think they wanted to just be sure. Well, they have been doing things just to be sure for the last week and my little guy has been fine, so I decided it was time to leave. I am a little nervous because he is a little high maintenance with all the machines he still needs. Plus, I just got trained today on what to do. I just pray that he will continue to do well, and I can do what I need to for him plus take care of my girls. Just to clear everything up. He got an enterovirus (a pretty common virus for most people it has cold or flu like symptoms) which caused the viral meningitis. That was diagnosed and cleared up on it's own. One reason we were there longer is he took forever to come off the breathing machine and he had low muscle tone which they didn't understand. Anyway, all the tests came back normal so they still don't know why. Hopefully he will just grow out of it. And they were monitoring his breathing because he would have apnea and d-sats. I didn't think we would be at the hospital so long and then I never imagined when we did get to go home that we would have these machines with us.
Here is our little guy with his "baggage". The blue backpack is the feeding machine and the white box below it is his apnea machine. Needless to say I won't be going too many places because those get to go where he goes. Also, I hope Abby leaves them alone.

7 comments:

njosgrl said...

i think abby will do fine. if anything, she'll want to help ::but make sure she helps with you around!!:: i'm so happy for the two of you.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you finally get to come home and stay! The machines will definitely keep you at home a lot. Ethan had a lot of "baggage" when he was a baby and I would always wait until Ryan was home to do all of my running around. Just keep him home from church for a few months. There are so many sick kids running around!

M Evans said...

Yeah Matthew!

Karen said...

Yea! I am so happy he gets to be home again.

Alana said...

Congrats, Im glad he is able to come home. Let me know if we can help out. Also, I agree with Heather, dont take him to church for a while. Its RSV season and kids are sick everywhere. You guys are the best stay strong!

Kristen said...

What a relief! He's home! And You're home! Even though you're probably awake all night checking little man, I still bet you sleep better there than at the hospital! He looks great by the way!

Brad and Meghan Miner said...

Carrie,
I ran into Karen the other day at the store and she let me know you were home with Matthew. I am so glad to hear he is doing better. I am excited to see you at the family Christmas party.