
So you'd think that in the hospital when Matthew was diagnosed with hypotonia that I would have looked it up and found out more about it. No, I just took it at low muscle tone and figured Matthew would get strong and grow out of it. Then I found out a little more from one of his therapists that it is his controlled movements that are hard. It's not that he has no muscles. I said okay and took it at that. Well, I was still wondering why he was developmentally behind. Well, we saw a geneticist and we will be running more tests to rule out disorders or to diagnose. Which is good. Hopefully we will find an answer, and know more of a plan for his life. Anyway, back to being behind. Well, the geneticist explained that muscle strength and muscle tone are different. Muscle strength is obvious it's the strength of the muscle, but the muscle tone is a neurological problem where the brain doesn't communicate to the muscles. So there is a delayed reaction, or they can be behind developmentally, answer to my question/worries. So, I finally came home from that appointment and finally looked it up. Hello, why I didn't do it 6 months ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotonia Here is the website that I looked at to find the information, if you're interested. Matthew is doing well and is holding his head up pretty well. He even impressed his therapists. I am now really working on him realizing he has hands. Hopefully that comes soon. Overall he is really well. I will keep you posted on our findings when we start getting the testing done from the geneticist. Oh he also got his first tooth, yeah!
Here is Matthew posing for his picture, see how well he is holding his head on a flat surface. A few months ago this wasn't happening. Way to go buddy!
He looked so cute in his Sunday clothes with his tie, shoes, and mohawk so we took a photo op. What a cutie!
No comments:
Post a Comment