Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Where have I been?

The reason I haven't updated my blog in quite awhile is because I have been in the hospital with my son since November 10th. He is still there and I am not quite sure when we will get to come home. To make this post not too terribly wrong I will give a condensed version of the last few weeks. Matthew was not getting better. He wasn't eating on his own and he was sleeping a lot. I was really worried. We had a doctor's appointment on the 10th and from there we were sent to the hospital. Matthew's body temperature had dropped to 91.1 degrees and so he was rushed back, put into a warming bed, they put in an IV (3 lines in his head), blood was drawn for testing, and he got a spinal tap as well. The fluid came back showing he had a viral infection or viral meningitis. We were admitted to the Pediatrics unit, but he still was not doing well so they sent us to PICU, and there we have been. He went down hill again when he got in there and they had to intabate him and give him all sorts of different medicines. Two weeks, MRI, Catscan, another spinal tap, Central line, Intabation tube, feeding tube, Catheter, lots of blood work, blood gases, medicine, seizures, daily x-rays, 4 EEG's, a blood infusion, specialists, and many many more things later he is stable and doing really well. He has gained weight, and his color looks really good. He is getting stronger and having a lot more body movement, and we are working on weaning him off the vent. He is breathing much better and we should see that happen in the next few days. I have been blessed by my family and friends through this ordeal, and most especially by my Savior. Without His comfort I would not have made it through this trial. I am still not done, but I have faith that all will be well and that we will be able to go home soon. I love the gospel and I am grateful for it in my life. Thank you to all who have helped out, Especially my mom. I am so grateful for her and I don't know what I would do if it weren't for her help and support. I love you all and thank you for all your love and support, and especially for your prayers. They truly have been felt and I know Matthew and my family have been blessed because of them. Here are a few pictures of Matthew.
Matthew in the ER
Again in the ER. He looks so pink, which up until now he was yellow.
This is Matty the day after we got to the hospital. His 2 week old picture.

Matthew getting one of his many EEG's.

About 5 days into his hospital stay I finally got to hold him. That is one of the hardest things about this whole ordeal is not getting to hold my brand new baby boy.

About a week later.

Matthew at 3 weeks old. Matthew at 4 weeks old
Yeah he's awake, what a cutie!
Strike a pose!

4 comments:

Karen said...

What a sweet little guy. I really hope he gets to come home soon. Today Payton asked me why baby Matthew was still in the hospital and why she could not see him.

Anonymous said...

How scary! I didn't even know anything was wrong. Let me know if you need anything!

Lindsay said...

oh im so sorry carrie, but im glad things are better now. hope he gets to come home soon!!

Kristen said...

WE LOVE MATTHEW! We love you guys too! What a fighter he is!