Friday, May 01, 2009

My Sweet Baby Boy

Matthew turned 6 months on April 28th. That day he finally was able to do his MBS (Modified Barium Swallow), the x-ray of his swallow. He did so good, he passed. He was able to swallow honey thick and nectar thick liquids without any problems, that means no aspirating. He also was able to swallow half nectar thick but the therapist said he had some underlaying around his epiglotis and didn't like that so she said we will do nectar thick for a few weeks and then go down to half nectar. He also tried regular milk consistency but after about 8 swallows aspirated. Which considering, I think, is pretty good. I think he isn't far from having normal non thickened milk. The wonderful thing is that he met the goal I set for him...

of getting his tube out by the time he was 6 months. He was able to get the tube out because not only could he drink from a bottle without aspirating but he was also able to get all his fluid needs from the bottle. He is doing well and gets pretty fussy around time to eat. Yeah, a normal, well almost, baby. It only took about 6 months. We still have a long way to go developementally. He hopefully will make the next goal I set out for him which is crawling by 12 months, we'll see!

I think now I am officially caught up on the month of April. It only took what 5 or so posts. Yeah, hopefully I can keep up on it. I always say that and then here I am posting a whole months worth at once. This last month ended up being kind of crazy, so hopefully I can keep up on it.

No comments: