Friday, May 01, 2009

Trials, Haven't I Had Enough?

I am going to answer my own question and say no. They won't stop, but I'd like a break please? Anyway, for those of you who don't know Matthew had an MRI scheduled on April 15th. We went in and they had to put him under anesthetic because that's what they do to make sure babies lie still. Anyway, when they put him under with the gas mask he was fine but when they gave him the shot of stuff to make him go way under he stopped breathing. They tried a few different things to see if he would start on his own. They had a decision to make stop the MRI and reschedule with a chance this will happen again or intubate him and continue. They decided to intubate and continue. When they told me this he was in the process of getting his MRI, so I was freaking out for a bit until I saw him. I was also worried because we had his MBS test (x-ray of his swallow) scheduled for the next day and he had this tube down his throat. I was worried that it would make him not at his best when it came out, so we cancelled that which was annoying. I couldn't get the feeding tube out of his nose without that. Thankfully when he came out of the anesthetic he was breathing on his own. When I finally got to go back to the recovery room he was crying and hungry. Because of this though we got to stay in the hospital that night. It was not a good night. His machines kept beeping and I was worried they would make him stay longer. That morning at like 5:30 I get a call from my brother saying my dad had had a heart attack. I was like are you kidding me. I am sitting here with my son in the hospital and my dad is now in the hospital, could today get any worse. Well, it could. To make a long story short my dad had multiple heart attacks, he is lucky to be alive and with us. Luckily he had his first one in the hospital. He had CPR done a number of times and he was shocked a total of 38 times throughout the course of his morning/heart attacks. He ended up having a Triple By-pass surgery done. He looked so fragile and scary when he first came out. At that time we didn't know the brain damage, if he had any. Thankfully, it seems he is fine and in time will make a full recovery. He was having breathing issues and couldn't get out of the ICU, hmm... who does that remind me of. Anyway, he is doing well and I am so thankful to my Father in Heaven for blessing my family and keeping us all here. I almost lost my son and now I have almost lost my father. How grateful I am to have them here with me and hopefully for awhile longer. I am grateful for my Savior and that he was there through these trials. I am also grateful to know no matter what the outcome we are sealed and can be together as a family forever. I am so grateful for those blessings in my life. By the way Matthew is doing great and hasn't had any problems since the MRI. Now I know that he can't go under anesthetic, which is a good thing to know.

1 comment:

Rebecca and Eric MantanoƱa said...

Wow! That was quite a day you had! I am so happy that both your dad and your son are doing better. My own dad died of a heart attack four years ago, so your post really struck home! Thanx for sharing!